Name:
Location: Rowland Heights, California, United States

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Web Sites being down...

Lately my websites have been down because I followed directions.

For the most part Linksys routers are pretty stable. The router I had as model number BEFSR81 V.2 - I had this router for about 4 years until it finally broke down.

The router would sometimes give me problems here and there but not to the point where it was unusable - it was more annoying than unusable. I'd say it probably needed to have the power recycled about once a week... maybe two weeks.

Until about the fourth year... Collission lights would be more apperant, Diag light would get stuck, etc... I decided to upgrade the firmware but before doing so I visited the local Linksys forums to see if there were any issues. For the most part people were pretty happy with the upgrades. So I upgraded to firmware version 2.45.0.1 June 2004 (something to that effect).

Things just began to get worse - the router was almost unusable. I get Linksys on the horn to find out what could've gone wrong. Right off the bat I ask the technician if it was time to buy a new router but he assured me that everything would be just fine. With a few tweaks her and there we'd be up and running like a the Rodent in the Wild E. Coyote Cartoon. So we modified the MTU setting to be 1200 - previously I set it 1493 since that's what the forums indicated was an optimal speed for DSL users. NOTHING! Still having the same problem where the router Diag light would get stuck for 10 to 15 seconds at a time. The technician didn't seem worried so I wasn't worried. Again he said, "No problem, with another upgrade I'd up and running in no time." I download another copy of the latest and greatest firmware for V.2 of the router and flash it, again. This time around the router Diag light blink at a steady pace. Still the technician said, "No problem, sir. We just need to unplug the router for about a minute and everything should be fine."

So, during the minute the technician and I became acquianted with one-another. Through the conversation we determined that it was 11:00 pm in California (where I was) and it was 2:00 pm in India (where he was). We talked about the weather, weather patterns, laugh a little with a few cracks I threw at him - a minute takes a little longer than one would think.

Anyway, I plug in the router and the light still blinked just as steady as before. Then he says, "Sire, you mentioned you were thinking about buying a new router?" I fell to the floor laughing my "efen" ass off - not to mention that he just started busting up with laughter, also.

Anyway, after I laughed and cried and pondered on how to get my websites up I finally just went to bed.

My website have been down for 3 days in a row. I finally purchased a new Netgear Advance Firewall FVS318 (very nice by the way). I'm still working out the tweaks. Hopefully I'll have my sites back up and running soon.

http://www.danyvibe.com
http://www.vicandbert.com

Try to visit them and let me know they work once in a while... Happy coding!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home